Polychloroprene or PC rubber is a modern rubber material developed by the polymerization of chloroprene. It is a strong and durable material that can withstand a wide range of temperatures. Earlier it was used for industrial applications only. Its beneficial features like water, fire and moisture resistance made it an ideal choice for the designing of wet suits, medical and sports equipment and car seats.
Modern designers have taken a fancy to this highly flexible neoprene material and are working to create highly fashionable clothes. Before you go shopping for that trendy dress from your favorite designers, here are some amazing neoprene facts that you should know.
- Neoprene is also known as PC Rubber or polychloroprene.
- It was developed 80 years ago in the year 1930 as an oil resistant option for natural rubber. It belongs to the family of synthetic rubbers.
- Neoprene is best known as the material to design wet suits and dry suits for scuba divers, snorkelers etc.
- Neoprene has a number of features. For example, it is flexible, water resistant, oil resistant, UV resistant, insulate and wrinkle free.
- Most designers prefer neoprene to make their creations as it is an opaque material. Moreover, it is highly resilient to stretching and is durable.
- Neoprene is ideal choice of fabric for photorealistic and digital prints.
- It is a good choice to make clothes as it does not need lining.
- It does not fray or slip and hence is easy to work with.
- NASA astronauts wear spacesuits made from neoprene coated nylon during any extravehicular activity.
- Neoprene is also the most preferred choice for car owners. They prefer neoprene seat covers as they are water and stain resistant and highly durable.
Neoprene has made giant leaps from being a sealing agent to a wet suit material and now is seen on the catwalks. It is one of the most versatile material of today’s times and can be used for a variety of purposes.
No that you know these amazing neoprene facts, go ahead and shop for various products made from this material. You can buy neoprene wet suits, dry suits, jackets, car seats, laptop cases, mobile sleeves, knee caps etc.